Ongoing Opportunity, Fruitland Park Library ~ Welcome to the Park
In the 1880’s Fruitland Park had all the advantages of natural beauty and a desirable location for winter visitors, home seekers, the farmer, the citrus grower and the business man.
Founded in 1876 by Major O.P. Rooks of Cincinnati, Ohio, the town was named after the Fruitland Nurseries of Augusta, Georgia. There was already a Fruitland in Florida at that time and postal authorities refused to permit the name of Fruitland Park; hence, the town was officially renamed Gardenia. But, the railroad had already issued its timetables with the name Fruitland Park and persisted in its use so that everything except the mail was addressed in that way. Four years later, the postal officials were brought around.
Enjoy the self-guided tour of historic Fruitland park at your own pace and leisure. There are 42 sites to visit in an 8.9 mile radius and it all begins at the Fruitland Park Library 205 W. Berckman Street, Fruitland Park FL 34731. Any questions about the trail, please call the library at 352-360-6561. Stop in and pick up a trail map!